Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sayings - Slogans - Mantras

It's so easy to get off track, to slip into little old me, trapped and alone. What can keep us on track, and in the flow of grace and peace? Eastern wisdom says constant mindfulness, and uses mantras or slogans to that end. Christians "pray without ceasing," which seems much the same (see prayer and meditation post for the differences). These are the foundations, the roots that anchor us in confidence to our beliefs. My favorite is "I rest in God." If Others are involved it switches to "We rest in God." This simple line, repeated with conviction takes the physical situation and lifts it into the level of the infinite. One of my teachers says it puts the "extra" into our ordinary, and the "super" into our natural. These tiny little tools can carry immense power. Perhaps the key is the conviction, you say like you mean it (because you do), vain repetition only weakens it's force. These pithy sayings serve as simple reminders that there are other options and we have a choice. Another benefit is to keep us in the moment. I do this by acknowledging where I am and what I am doing in the moment; "Walking to work, sun is shining, birds are singing" over and over a few times until I am grounded or have moved on. I recommend a small list of favorite slogans to refer to, you can view mine here. The key, as always, is to find your sayings, slogans, and mantras. Perhaps then you can plug in your "power tools" whenever and wherever you need them to live your "extraordinary supernatural" life! To see the classic list of Lojong slogans on a Wiki, click here.

No comments: