Prayer - Conversations with God

Abraham Lincoln said: “I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.” I believe that meditation is when we listen to and become one with our Higher Power. Prayer is when I speak to or with God.

Any time spent in quiet reflection might be considered prayer, but when we invite the all wise, all powerful presence of a loving Higher Power in it can take on a much deeper and more meaningful tone. We really enjoy this exchange, responses coming in sunsets, smiles, and a million other ways. Many seek to follow the sage advice to "Pray without ceasing".

Journaling is a great blessing, in particular if we use it as a sort of prayer book and write out our  conversations with our Higher Power as a best friend, as one who knows our every secret desire and transgression, and in fact every tiny thing about us through-out our lives from before we were born. That is an extremely intimate relationship we can acknowledge and develop through prayer and journaling. A spiral bound notebook or composition book from most any store work great.

I also believe that prayers are intended as a celebration of what is or becoming so I don’t pray for what I personally want, rather what is best for all, so naturally coming out of God given grace and blessing. Therefore my prayers are ones of gratitude, of thanks.  Like many folks I often find myself on my knees in times of troubles, but also make an effort to pray every day to give thanks and praise for the basic goodness that is so abundant. Click here for examples of my prayers and here are some nice videos on prayer: On My Knees, PrayLet Us Pray.
 

Prayer Quotes:

Prayer does for the soul what breathing does for the body.

If you have time to worry, you have time to pray.

God is easier to talk to than most people.

God understands our prayers even when we can't find the words to say them.

The science of prayer is reprogramming your mind. The art of prayer is connecting with your higher self.

Your prayers don't have to be perfect, God hears your heart.

Prayers don't have to be long or eloquent, they need only come from a sincere and humble heart.

Prayer is not a duty, but rather a privilege to be enjoyed, a rare delight always revealing some new beauty.

A day without prayer is a day without blessings.

A life without prayer is a life without power.

If you are a stranger to prayer you are a stranger to the greatest power known. Billy Sunday.

Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God. Ronald Reagan.

Your talent is God's gift to you, what you do with it is your gift to God. Leo Buscaglia.

You were made by God, and for God, until you understand that your life will never make sense. Rick Warren.

I used to ask God to help me, now I ask how God needs help.

Ask not what God can do for you, but what you can do for God.

Don't tell God you have big problems, tell your problems you have a big God!

What God intended for you goes far beyond anything you can imagine.  Oprah Winfrey